Our architect: (Paul) Whitney Architecture – Ballard (Seattle)
Our Builder/Consultant: YS Development | YS Built (Bellevue)
Our home will be a modern, sustainable, green built, energy-efficient, cozy with a flat butterfly roof. It has a wonderful view of the horizon, Bellevue and Seattle downtown.
Designing a home is complex process. We had to do a lot of work on the flow of the home and placements of the rooms ourselves. We struggled with the placement of the kitchen quite a bit. Another struggle was where to place the laundry room. This probably warrants a post of its own….
Having owned 2 previous homes, we had a fairly good idea what we wanted/needed in our custom home. Here a quick break down:
My wish list for the architect / builder:
- Large pantry/mud/laundry room.
- Open flow of living spaces.
- Family room but no formal living or dining (no wasted space).
- Downstairs office/library.
- Small loft upstairs for family time/watching TV (away room).
- Lots of storage.
- Wet room in the bathroom
- Covered patio!
- Bedroom for each person
- Rec room for the kiddos
- Tons of pocket doors
- Linear drain(s)
My husband’s wish list:
- 2 car garage + tall RV garage
- Rec room / man cave
- putting green / batting cage / driving range in the back yard
- side drive way
- Rain shower from the ceiling
- We will most likely get most items on my list, but the pantry / mud / laundry will not be huge.
- Originally we were shooting for 2,400 sq ft. but it will be around 2,800+. sq ft due to the rec room. Of course this expanded our costs also.
I will try to cover some of these living spaces in future posts.